In this section
- Monikie & Newbigging
- Murroes & Tealing
History - Monikie & Newbigging Church
The medieval church in Monikie was founded around 1190 and gifted to Arbroath Abbey by King William the Lion. It was rebuilt in 1678 and considerably altered in 1812.
The current interior layout dates from 1903, but this was refurbished during 2009 / 2010 when a new room was added under the gallery, the chancel was extended, the windows releaded and the church redecorated.
Monikie & Newbigging churches were linked in 1967 and united in 1984. Newbigging Church was built in 1789 and served the people of Newbigging for over 200 years. However, the united congregation eventually decided to make Monikie Church the sole place of worship and Newbigging Church was vacated and sold.
Then in September 2009 Monikie & Newbigging was united with Murroes & Tealing to form a single united church with two centres of worship in Murroes and Monikie Churches. The new united church was then linked with Auchterhouse, which had been linked with Murroes & Tealing since 1983.